Thursday, February 21, 2013

Scones that Defy Logic

  Okay, so these don't exactly defy logic... but you know the family members. The ones who hear you put whole wheat in whatever you made and gag. Blaize and Natalie are those kinda  people. And they both had THREE scones!!! THAT'S why they defy logic. :)

You know I'm excited about something when I blog more than once a week! Now that I've decided to blog about one of my passions, it is so much easier to come up with things to write about. My latest project: healthifying scones! I've always loved making scones, and have gotten lots of compliments for my recipe for lemon ones... BUT they have 1 cup of butter, 1 cup of sugar, and one cup of whole milk. Hence the reason for the compliments. 

I wanted to prove to the world that yummy things CAN be healthy. So, here they are:




Don't these look yummy? That's cuz they are!!! And they have all whole-wheat flour, only 1/3 cup sugar in the actual scones, coconut oil instead of butter, and almonds. The whole milkd was replaced with 1 percent milk. They aren't low fat, but I'm actually not a huge fan of low fat. There are so many healthy fats out there, and they really do make things taste better! Now, the frosting... it's sugar and milk, so not much nutrition there. But it was necessary because I didn't measure the salt carefully... the sweetness
Here's the Recipe:

Ingredients:
2 cups white whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup whole roasted almonds
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup sugar
1 T. lemon juice + enough milk to equal 2/3 cup. (or butermilk, which I never have)
1 t. almond extract

Frosting: ( I didn't measure, sorry!!!) Powdered sugar, low-fat milk, and almond extract.


Preparation Instructions
You'll need a food processor that can hold 11 cups for this recipe.
Place the almonds into a food processor and process until they are a fine crumb. Add the remaining dry ingredients and pulse a few times to mix. Add the butter and process until incorporated well.
Now, with the food processor on, add the wet ingredients through the feed tube. Continue to mix, just until it all comes together and forms a ball. Do not overmix!
The dough will be a little sticky when you remove it from the food processor, so I just toss the whole ball into my flour bin and coat it lightly.
Next, divide it into 2 balls. Flatten each ball into a disk, about 8-10 inches in diameter and 1-2 inches thick. Take a long bladed knife and cut the circles into 8 even wedges. A pizza cutter works well too.
Use a silicone baking mat (Silpat) to keep the scones from sticking to the baking sheet. Place the 16 pieces on the mat on a cookie sheet.
Combine the frosting ingredients once the scones are cool, and drizzle over the scones.  :)  Enjoy!
See??? Alll whole wheat flour, coconut oil, minimal sugar, (minus the frosting) and low-fat milk. And they look good, and taste as good as they look. Have I sold you yet? :)
One last thing: My amazing sister took this cool picture!!! I'm NOT a photogropher, and my pictures looked hardly appetizing. Natalie is amazing, plain and simple. And so are these scones! :)
                                                                                             

4 comments:

  1. YUMMY!!!!! Nat, these pictures look fantastic! You are so talented! And hannah, healthy scones that the entire family likes? Good work:) A keeper for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Well, our countertops are always a little messy after I bake, but if you're wondering where the picture was taken, the scones were on a plate... just a purple one, so you can't tell. :)

      Delete
  3. I am definitely a fan of whole-wheat, though I usually do a combination of whole-wheat and white flour. Those look wonderful! My husband and I love scones. :)

    ReplyDelete