Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Sleepy Thoughts...

Good morning! As I write this, it's 4:52 a.m. and I've actually been up since 3:00 a.m. (Well, that's when I got up. I actually have been awake since two, but I was still in bed so it doesn't count.) Seeing as I went to bed at eleven... hmmm, I'll avoid finishing that thought, the math is scary.

Actually, so far, I'm  not sleepy at all, and it's been a good thing, since I've studied for a test, started my story, and am not writing my blog. Before you write me off as an over-achiever, NO, I didn't set my alarm for 2:00 a.m. I'm not THAT much of a morning person! I simply couldn't sleep, and beings as I couldn't make any noise, and there wasn't anyone else to talk to, I decided to just try to be productive.

Still, in between productive moments and early morning munching on almonds and granola (does anyone else wake up ravenous?) I've been thinking about sleep... or, lack thereof, really!

First, a few facts about sleep to make you smile:

The longest period recorded for being without sleep is 18 days, 21 hours, and 40 minutes during a rocking chair marathon. By the end, the record holder had slurred speech, paranoia, blurred vision, and concentration and memory lapses. I'm beginning to think my missing a couple hours of sleep isn't quite so bad!

A new baby usually results in 450 to 700 hours of lost sleep for the parents in the first year.

If it takes you less than five minutes to fall asleep, you are sleep-deprived. Ten to fifteen minutes is the ideal length because it means you're tired enough to sleep well, but aren't tired in the middle of the day.


Cool, huh? Guess what? There are major benefits to sleeping longer!

Things like better memory, a longer life-span, improved athletic performance, better grades ( might this be related to the better memory part?) and reducing our stress levels.

Whoo hoo! Guess who's going to try to get more shut-eye?


2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is some good info! HAPPY BIRTHDAY~~
    YOU WERE UP EARLLYYYYYYYYYYYYY

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo the happy birthday. :)

    And, wow, may I ask where you got those facts? You are right, I did smile...except for the one about 450-700 hours of lost sleep for new parents! If I start having slurred speech, paranoia, and memory lapses during class next year, you'll know why!

    Hope you get a nap in today to make up for some of that lost sleep!

    ReplyDelete