Sunday, March 23, 2014

Lessons from Olaf






Olaf - my favorite character :)
Disney has finally won my heart. And I have to admit, it's about time. From princesses dropping from the sky into the arms of a handsome prince to major "love at first sight" overkill, they've definitely overdone it on cliches and plummeting princesses. 

But a snowman? A dancing, talking, summer-loving, willing-to-melt-for-his-friends snowman? (Sorry, I guess the word, "sacrificial" would have sufficed, too.) You sold me.
Though I'm not an avid writer, I love analyzing characters and people... plots, not so much. I will confess that is rather evident in my One Year Adventure Novel. :)

Anyways, I have to get one thing straight. I am not about to try to emulate this naive but oh-so-precious snowman. At least, not completely. I don't think it's realistic to constantly bounce around the room like kangaroo coffee addict. (Plus, while it was cute when Olaf did it, I don't think I would quite pull it off.) However, Olaf is a well-developed character and I do admire him, fictional or not. Don't worry, I'm not about to try to become a snowman (although that would be "cool," my efforts would be "short-lived." Get it? Okay, so my jokes need some work. Anyways...) Here are things I admire about this fictitious snowman: (and some adorable pictures to go with it)

Olaf Quote Miracle alert! A Disney film shows love in the form of sacrifice rather than in the form of a prince with great princess-catching abilities! And guess what? Olaf is the first-ever- (and probably only-ever) snowman to say these words in a Disney movie. And you wonder why I like him?




Olaf! "Put me in summer and I'll be a... happy snowman!!"I love how Olaf is so busy standing up for Elsa, the person in question, that he gets stabbed by an icicle. His response? "Oh, look at that. I've been impaled." This may be over-thinking the situation, but seriously, I don't react well to little blips in my life, let alone impalement. Rather than looking at how small inconveniences fit into the big scheme of things, I overreact to little things. 
Things like running late, bad hair-days, B's in physics, hurtful comments, and volleyball losses. Will these things matter in 10 years? Will I care in heaven that they happened? Obviously Olaf downplayed the situation quite a bit... impalement would usually be a pretty big deal. I tend to "play up" little occurrences in my life to get attention, rather than seeing them in light of the future I have with Jesus. Olaf is fictional. But that doesn't mean we can't learn from him, peoples!

 Olaf has never experienced summer, yet he is looking forward to it! I love that Olaf is looking forward to the unknown! To... change. I hate change. I am afraid of change. Change is scary because it is new and therefore not in my control. Last night we went to a new restaurant! And guess what? I was freaked out because it was new. It turned out to be fine (actually, it was delicious). But I made a fuss because it was not part of my routine. And I was a royal pain because I drug my feet like they were made of lead. 

Granted, you have to draw the line somewhere: Olaf is looking forward to heat which will cause him to melt. Details, details, I know, but still. I don't want to take the analogy too far. (Really guys, I have gone back and forth on posting this because I'm afraid you'll think I've lost it and want to turn into a snowman.)





Some people are worth melting for - Olaf ; Frozen <3Another example of sacrifice. Heart.Just. Melted.>>>>
(Get it??? Heart MELTS. Oh, never mind.)

And now, the REAL reason I instantly love him. Since these are my last words of this post, I will leave you with his first words. Because that seems fittingly ironic.

2 comments:

  1. Olaf is wonderful. He's such an adorable and hilarious character, yet he has some real substance to him. And he "gets" that love isn't about yourself, but about others. He really is a love expert! ;) Thanks for sharing, Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally got to watch Frozen last week and absolutely loved Olaf! I love how you have picked out the things you admire about his character, besides his adorable voice, appearance, and personality. :) And, wow, I was amazed, too, at this Disney movie's definition of love. Where are they getting this stuff?! It's almost...biblical! :)

    ReplyDelete